When you are camping, especially in the wilderness, there is a lot of the things you should have at your hand.
- CLICK HERE to jump to 6 features your blade must have…
However, a good survival knife should be one of the most important pieces of the equipment that you carry. Why? The answer is really simple. A quality made and reliable blade can help you to make a number of vital tasks such as:
- Food preparation.
- Cutting of branches for firewood.
- Obtaining material for shelter.
- Construction of other sophisticated tools.
7 Must Have Features of Best Survival Knife
1. Choose Your Steel Wisely
Traditionally, two types of steel are used in the construction of survival knives:
- Stainless – This one does not rust.
- Carbon – It keeps its sharp cutting edge for longer time.
Both materials have their individual advantages as well as disadvantages (both are very strong). Carbon steel blades do have a tendency to be prone to rusting when exposed to damp conditions and hence significantly reduce its effectiveness over time.
2. Appropriate Length Between 6″ & 12″
At the same time you are selecting a specific material, you will also need to choose the right length. It is normal for most brands to have edges that range somewhere between 6 and 12 inches.
Pick one that is any shorter in length and you may not be able to do the things that you need to do while out in the wilderness, whereas blade longer than 10 to 12 inches may be a bit too cumbersome to carry around and carve detailed stuff, and it could limit rather than help you.
3. Always Choose a Fixed Blade!!!
By the way:
There are some folding knives that can do a good job, however, for the most possible strength and durability, it really needs to be fixed, and this is the kind of knife you should choose as the best and only possibility!
4. Important!!! Choose Thickness Between 3/16″ or 4/16″
A lot of people often overlook the importance of the blades thickness when buying a proper one for critical situations. This can be a big mistake, as this feature can play an important role in its effectiveness.
According to the experts in this field, version that is either 3/16″ or 4/16″ is the one to buy. Knife that has the right thickness will be sturdy, solid and be almost indestructible, and will be a great help when you are out in the wilderness.
5. Comfortable Handle & Firm Grip
Survival knives have many different kinds of handles, and it is common for them to be made from hard, vulcanized rubber or a polymer. Most come with a solid handle, however, it is important to avoid purchasing blades that have hollow ones suitable for storing items, such as matches (this will make it much more fragile).
Some brands will have a compass in it for example, and whilst this is something that sounds like a smart idea, it could have the effect of loosening your grip, causing you to drop the knife more easily in emergency situation.
6. Full Tang Is Your Best Choice!
For those of you that are unfamiliar with the construction of knives, the tang is the part of the blade that is contained within its handle.
A product that has a full tang is much better than one that hasn’t, as this adds to its overall strength, and it will prevent from snapping when under pressure.
7. Practical & Durable Sheath
Additionally, you should give some consideration to the sheath before you make your purchase, as one that is well made will allow you to carry your blade safely and easily.
When looking to buy one, you need to consider a number of things, such as:
- How are you going to be wearing it?
- Where will you be strapping it?
- Does it have lower & belt attachment?
2 Types of Survival Knives to Avoid at All Costs!!!
Must see this!
If you watch a lot of films, you have probably seen some on-screen heroes sporting some massive knives. Characters such as Rambo have been depicted carrying ones that are more like mini-swords than the sort of blade a survivalist would normally use.
- Huge size – As we mentioned earlier, model that is too big is just going to be cumbersome and more of a hindrance. These may look impressive, however, they are not at all practical and there is no real reason why you should carry something that huge when out in the wilderness.
- Hollow handles – Above all else, this tool should do the job that it has been made for, not for gimmicky things such as having room for matches and fish hooks! Be aware of the fact that if it has a hollow handle then it is going to deteriorate and damage much more quickly!
Keep in mind!
The last thing you need during crisis is for a knife to let you down!
My Extra Advice: Don’t Forget a Sharpener!
In order to keep them in a tip-top condition, you are going to need a good tool to sharpen its edge.
There are a lot of sharpeners on the market, however, if you are going to be out in the wild, you need to buy one that is lightweight and easily portable.
Last Words to Keep in Mind
Hopefully, this article has given you the kind of advice that you need in order to get the best possible knife for surviving in wilderness, and when doing so, make sure that you are able to inspect it closely. Parts that you should focus on should include the blade, the sheath and the handle.
Another method you can use to select the right brand for you is to check the internet for reviews of people that have purchased that particular model in the past. Selecting a good survival knife can make a big difference to your camping or hunting trip that you will wonder how you managed to do without it!
- How to Choose the Right Survival Knife on Instructables.com
- The 10 Survival Skills and Crafts You Need to Know on Survingoo.com
- What are the Top Ten Survival Blades? By Equip 2 Endure on Youtube.com
- How to Choose the Perfect Survival Knife on ArtofManliness.com
- 5 Best Survival Knives In The World Under $100 on Reddit.com