We have broken down every aspect of this KA-BAR model to provide you with the answer.
If you are thinking of buying this one or simply looking for a better knife, then keep reading reading this article analyzing each individual feature!
KA-BAR Brand – Proud American Manufacturer
Worth spending your time to read!
Made in the USA, KA-BAR is a company that every knife enthusiast will recognize. While it may be new to you, they have been in business since 1898 and have produced some of the world’s most famous knives.
What is more, it is even the choice for the US Marine Corps and many other armies around the world. This is due to immense durability of their products and ultra-sharp blades that are great for survival situations.
4 Core Features of Becker BK2 Campanion by KA-BAR
1. Strong 5.25″ Blade with Drop Point & Black Finish
The blade is what matters most, right? The one used in BK-2 model has a quarter inch in thickness. It’s incredibly sharp when sharpened. In fact, this model is near perfect for skinning, killing or even peeling off bark from a branch.
The blade’s specifications are as follows:
- Length – 5.25”
- Thickness – 0.25”
- Edge angles – 20 degrees
- Metal – 1095 Cro-Van steel
Just over 5 inches in length, this one is ideal for medium to heavy use. As long as you keep it sharp, you should have no problem using it.
KA-BAR does offer a limited lifetime warranty on their blade, but with an HRC rating of 56 – 58, it should have no problems lasting your entire life if cared for properly.
2. Fixed Model with Full Tang
This product is a full tang and obviously fixed version. This allows for the perfect balance to be felt while holding or thrusting the knife.
3. Balanced 5.25″ Zytel Handle
The handle of BK2 Campanion has the same length as the rest of this model, which provides absolute balance! This comes out to a total of 10.5” with the handle being 5.25”.
Upon first grip, users will notice that there are no grooves for your fingers, but there is a slight inner curve which makes handling perfect!
- Grip – I have found the grip provided to be exceptional with my hand fitting perfectly where the bow begins and ends. There is a little lip over the end and right before the start of the blade which ensures safety and reduces slippage!
- Material – Zytel is the material used on the handle, which is a very strong plastic. After immense testing, which you will read more about shortly, no slipping or discomfort was seen during use.
- Extra features – It should also be mentioned that at its end there is a place to stick a rope through to make a loop if using Becker Campanion in water or choosing to not use the sheath provided.
4. Professional Black Kydex & Nylon Sheath
Additionally, it is all black just like the knife which makes it easily concealed. There are various ways that you can attach it to your belt or pants if need be.
Field Test & Effectiveness in Survival Uses
Check out this article!
At first glance, you are probably thinking that the Becker BK-2 looks amazing! However, what can it really do for you during emergency situation besides provide protection?
- Chopping – I wanted to test the chopping capability and was pleasantly surprised that you can cut 1 – 2 inch branches with great ease.
- Shaving – Tinder shavings are very useful and will be your source of starting a fire. With ease, you can shave wood right off of a lot or branch with the BK-2.
Now, there are also a few standard uses that you can expect:
- Basic protection.
- Killing of smaller game.
- Killer of large animals if needed.
- Skinning & gutting.
- Cutting meat.
- A blade exceeding 5”.
- Very sturdy handle.
- Extremely durable 1095 cro-van steel.
- Full tang, fixed blade.
- The blade needs to be sharpened when purchased for true survival capability.
- The thumb release seen with the sheath is not adequate.
You Can Expect to Pay Around $70.00
Getting down to the nitty-gritty, the price of the BK-2 is perfect with most prices seen between $65.00 and $70.00! You can see Amazon.com if there are even better deals offered there or not!
Final Assessment for Survival Situations – Worth It or Not?
For hard and soft work alike, the Becker BK-2 Campanion is a worthwhile investment. You will be able to kill animals to eat, cut through thorns or other foliage and even pry open a clam if you are lucky enough to be near the ocean.
Is this the best knife in the world? No. However, I am a strong advocate that no one is. For true survival, you will want many knives in your arsenal. Some will be great for cutting larger pieces of wood, while others are able to skin dead animals and pry open objects with ease.
As far as a “one hat fits all” approach, the BK-2 may be as close to perfect as you can get!